[R] xtable caption knitr

AURORA GONZALEZ VIDAL aurora.gonzalez2 at um.es
Tue Feb 24 12:16:56 CET 2015

Dear all,
I have a problem with the caption option on the xtable function.

Using Rmarkdown, knitr generates correctly a pdf when I write something
like this:

```{r xtable, results="asis"}
library( xtable )
variableName  <- c( "V03_1" )
age <- c( rep(1,10),rep(2,10),rep(3,10) )
gender <- c( rep("m",15), rep("f",15) )

df <- data.frame( age, gender )

t     <- xtable( df, caption = "hello" )
print( t, caption.placement = 'top',comment = FALSE )
```

But if I change to

t     <- xtable(df, caption = variableName)

wich is what I really want it retuns a pandoc error:

! Missing $ inserted.
<inserted text>
                $
l.112 \caption{V03_1}

pandoc: Error producing PDF from TeX source
Error: pandoc document conversion failed with error 43

I don't know why because variableName is also a character variable!

Any idea? Thank you very much!

------
Aurora González Vidal

Sección Apoyo Estadístico.
Servicio de Apoyo a la Investigación (SAI).
Vicerrectorado de Investigación.
Universidad de Murcia
Edif. SACE . Campus de Espinardo.
30100 Murcia