[R] find a previous command that starts with a certain letter

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 11:27:46 CET 2015

On 18/02/2015 5:06 PM, CasasPrat,Merce [Ontario] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to R (was using Matlab previously)
>
> Matlab has a very convenient utility that I haven't been able to find in R. When working interactively, you can find a previous command that starts with a certain letter by typing such a letter and then pressing the cursor up key. In R I've seen that, despite the letter you type, when pressing the cursor up key, it goes to the immediately previous command.
>
> So, do you know if there is any way in R to quickly search for previous commands starting with a certain letter?

This depends on what front end you are using.  In the Windows Rgui.exe,
you get what you saw.  In front-ends using readline, you can do it by
hitting Ctrl-R first.  (The Windows command-line interface, Rterm.exe,
uses this, as do many others.)  If you're using some other front-end,
you'll need to read its documentation.

Duncan Murdoch