[R] prediction intervals for robust regression

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 11 20:55:38 CET 2015

On 11/02/2015 19:38, Bert Gunter wrote:
> Presumably you've checked out:
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Robust.html
>
> If you can estimate the variance of parameter estimates, betahat, then
> you can estimate the variance of a predicted value, X betahat; add the
> estimated variance of individuals to this if that's what you're
> looking for (and it's not already available).

But that's not too much use without some idea of the error distribution,
and using robust statistics assumes it is non-normal, long-tailed.  And
it is unusual to have enough data to estimate the tail behaviour of such
a distribution.

It might be better to do this with a parametric model with a long-tailed
error distribution, especially if there is evidence (e.g. from other
samples) about the latter.

> Further questions should go to a statistics site like
> stats.stackexchange.com, as statistical questions are off topic here.

Agreed.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
1 South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3TG, UK