[R] Error: OutOfMemoryError (Java): GC overhead limit exceeded

Allen Bingham aebingham2 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 20:13:29 CET 2015

Rebecca,

An additional issue might be plots, pivot tables, etc. that you might have in separate sheets on the input Excel workbook (if you have those, just make a separate workbook with only the data you need for R in it).

BTW---I've recently been using the following option for similar use of XLConnect:

	options(java.parameters = "-Xmx4g" )

to set it at 4 Gbytes ... but I have lots of memory on my machine (16 Gbytes).

Another issue is that the above setting is for one instance/session of R --- you can't re-issue it with a larger number later in the same session --- you have to quit R first then re-issue with a larger number.

Good luck-Allen
Allen Bingham
Bingham Statistical Consulting
aebingham2 at gmail.com