[R] censored quantile regression

Allen Bingham aebingham2 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 20:51:01 CET 2015

Ashley,

Looking at the code for the crq function it appears that with method="Portnoy" the tau value is not passed to the fitting function (crq.fit.por) and that function appears (I didn't delve into the code to make sure of this ...) to calculate the grid of tau values given the nature of the data, formula, etc. ---

--- more telling though is the following snippet I copied from the documentation of the crq function, specifically it states (in part) [I've split apart the pertinent section first]:

   "... Both the Portnoy and Peng-Huang estimators may be unable to compute estimates of
    the conditional quantile parameters in the upper tail of distribution.

   ... Like the Kaplan-Meier estimator, when censoring is heavy in the upper tail the
   estimated distribution is defective and quantiles are only estimable on a sub-interval
   of (0,1). The Peng and Huang estimator can be viewed as a generalization of the Nelson
   Aalen estimator of the cumulative hazard function, and can be formulated as a variant
   of the conventional quantile regression dual problem. See Koenker (2008) for further
   details. This paper is available from the package with vignette("crq"). ...  "

... so I'm guessing that using one of the other fitting methods may be get you what you need --- HOWEVER I'm only looking at the underlying code and documentation for same --- I'm completely ignorant of the statistical methods you are trying to implement --- and whether or not one of the other fitting methods is appropriate to your analyses.

Regardless it seems to me (IMHO) that the documentation for the crq function should indicate that the "tau" or alternatively the "taus" supplied to the crq function are only used with a subset of the method values.

Hope this helps-Allen
Allen Bingham
Bingham Statistical Consulting
aebingham2 at gmail.com

This message and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged information and are only for the use of the intended recipient of this message. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email, and delete or destroy this and all copies of this message and all attachments. Any unauthorized disclosure, use, distribution, or reproduction of this message or any attachments without permission from the sender is prohibited and may be unlawful.