[R] Boundaries and deldir

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Feb 2 12:46:26 CET 2015

On 02/02/15 16:26, p_connolly wrote:

> Just what is meant by dummy points as referred to by the help for the
> deldir() function?  I understood they indicated the boundary beyond
> which triangulation would cease.
>
> I thought I would need the x/y elements (as described in the help file
> at the end of the description of the use of the dpl argument) to
> describe ad hoc dummy points as way to define a polygon or two as a
> boundary.  However, it gives this error:
>
> Error in xd[-drop] : only 0's may be mixed with negative subscripts
>
> Something internal is doing the negative subscripting.
> I tried ndx/ndy instead of x/y but it evidently refers only to a
> rectangle so not what I need.
>
> Am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?  Is the boundary defined
> somewhere else entirely?  I need to get that clear before I am able to
> provide
> useful example code.

The dummy points have nothing to do with any "boundary".  In fact they
have nothing much to do with anything, really! :-)  They are a hangover
from the original purpose of deldir which was to assist in a numerical
integration needed for the maximum likelihood estimation of the
intensity function of an inhomogeneous Poisson process.  I really should
get rid of them, but that would require a bit of work and re-writing of
code and help files, and they do no real harm so I have decided to apply
the "If it ain't broke don't fix it." principle.

The deldir function creates a Delaunay triangulation/Dirichlet
tessellation inside a "rectangular window" (denoted by "rw" in the
argument list).  This is the only boundary invoked or involved.

The function plot.tile.list() will *plot* the Dirichlet tessellation
"clipped" to a specified polygon.  But that is just for *plotting*.  I
am not sure that I really understand the idea of a "boundary beyond
which the triangulation ceases".  The Delaunay triangulation is a finite
structure; its outer boundary is the convex hull of the set of points
being triangulated.  You cannot confine it to a smaller region without
losing some of those points.

If you can explain what you really want to do, perhaps I can help.

cheers,

Rolf

--
Rolf Turner