[R] unname() not working as stated in documentation

Richard M. Scriven rmscriven at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 05:24:38 CET 2015

Hi all,

In help(unname), for the "force" argument, it states that

"if true, the dimnames (names and row names) are removed even from
data.frames."

However, when I use unname() to remove all the names from mtcars, it fails.

> unname(mtcars, force = TRUE)
Error in `dimnames<-.data.frame`(`*tmp*`, value = NULL) :
  invalid 'dimnames' given for data frame

This traces back to `dimnames<-.data.frame` not accepting NULL as a
replacement value.  So my question is, do you think this is a bug worth
reporting as such, or simply a mistake in the documentation?

Thank you for your time.

--
*Richard M Scriven*
*Economics, **Applied Statistics*

* University of California, DavisTel: (925) 487-5034*