[R] Use of "file.choose()" or "change working directory" tab causing stall on Mac

Robert Baer rbaer at atsu.edu
Sun Dec 20 16:34:36 CET 2015

On 12/19/2015 10:39 PM, Vinny Mo wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I used to use the "file.choose()" command quite a lot, as well as the "change working directory" drop down tab as part of my workflow with R, but for over 1 year both of these actions have caused the spinning-wheel to crash R (just R, not any other program).
>

> The issue seems to happen when the GUI pops up, and happens about 80% of the time I use either of these actions. This issue has remained constant across different computers (though all macs), different R builds, and different Mac OS's. I had asked about this issue before, and had hoped that this bug might be fixed at some point, but it has persisted.
The posting guide asks for a reproducible example.  This is problematic
if you only have only an 80% failure rate. Nevertheless, do you have a
verbatim example that has failed at least once?  If a particular
formulation fails one time for you, does it always fail or can a certain
syntax work 1 in 5 times?

If this is a mac-only problem you might get more help on that mailing list:

You should install the most recent version of R and reproduce the
problem there.  When posting again, it would be helpful to supply the
results of
R.Version()   for your setup.