[R] unable to download library

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Dec 17 01:05:04 CET 2015

> On Dec 16, 2015, at 3:44 PM, peter dalgaard <pdalgd at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 17 Dec 2015, at 00:00 , David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> When I attempt to open that with Chrome I get an error:
>>
>> This webpage is not available
>>
>> DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
>>
>> Like Bert, I also get an error report when I attempt to us the Berkeley repo, but I do not get an error when I use the CRAN repo in Switzerland.
>
> That'll be a name server issue. Nothing to do with R per se. If it worked for some and not for others for a while, it is most likely due to cached data.
>
> pd$ host cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu
> Host cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
> pd$ host cnr.Berkeley.edu
> cnr.Berkeley.edu has address 169.229.201.201

I get

davidwinsemius$ host cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu
cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu is an alias for nature.Berkeley.edu.
nature.Berkeley.edu has address 169.229.201.201
nature.Berkeley.edu has IPv6 address 2607:f140:0:8000::201
nature.Berkeley.edu mail is handled by 5 mx1.ist.Berkeley.edu.
nature.Berkeley.edu mail is handled by 5 mx0.ist.Berkeley.edu.

davidwinsemius$ host cnr.Berkeley.edu
cnr.Berkeley.edu has address 169.229.201.201

When I attempt to open cnr.Berkeley.edu in a browser I get the welcome page from Berkeley's College of Natural Resources ... after redirection to https://nature.berkeley.edu/

When I try trimming the 'cran' from the original link:

https://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/bin/windows/contrib/3.2

I get page not found from https://nature.berkeley.edu/bin/windows/contrib/3.2

So, how do we determine whether Bert's and my DNS servers have changed more recently (since we are both much closer to the Berkeley campus and perhaps Rolf just has an old ip address), or that Rolf has connection to a more uptodate DNS server? As with Bert my network-fu is inadequate to resolve this

--
David
> --
> Peter Dalgaard, Professor,