[R] Make a box-whiskers plot in R with 5 variables, color coded.

Dmitri Leybman dleybman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 16:06:28 CET 2015

Apologies for the HTML.

This is the initial snippet of the values:

Var1 Var2 Var3 Var4 Var5
0 0 7 1 0
0 0 7 0 0
1 1 8 2 0
5 5 8 0 0
1 4 8 1 0
4 5 8 0 0
0 1 7 2 1
5 1 7 0 0
2 4 9 0 1
1 2 9 2 NA
1 5 7 1 0
4 1 8 0 0
2 7 7 1 0
7 7 6 2 NA
5 2 7 0 0
0 1 7 0 4
1 3 8 1 0
1 5 7 2 0
7 2 8 0 0
7 0 8 2 0
7 5 8 2 0
2 0 9 1 0
1 6 8 1 0
3 4 7 0 2

I have tried:

   boxplot(data, las = 2, col =

   c("red", "blue", "black", "aquamarine1", "darkorange3"),

   at = c(1, 2, 3, 4, 5), par(mar = c(12, 5, 4, 2) + 0.1),

   names = c("Meeting1", "Meeting2", "Meeting3", "Meeting4","Meeting5")

and have gotten a '+' at the end meaning I am missing something.

I used a modify version of the code I found on R-Help for Box-Whiskers plot
formation <http://www.r-bloggers.com/box-plot-with-r-tutorial/>

The code this blogger used was

       boxplot(data, ylab =“Oxigen (%)”, xlab =“Time”, las = 2,

       col =
 c(“red”,“sienna”,“palevioletred1″,“royalblue2″,“red”,“sienna”,“palevioletred1″,

       “royalblue2″,“red”,“sienna”,“palevioletred1″,“royalblue2″),

        at = c(1,2,3,4,  6,7,8,9, 11,12,13,14), par(mar = c(12, 5, 4, 2) +
0.1),

        names = c(“Station 1″,“Station 2″,“Station 3″,“Station 4″,“Station

        1″,“Station 2″,“Station 3″,“Station 4″,“Station 1″,“Station
2″,“Station

         3″,“Station 4″))

I am trying to use the code above to create a five different
box-and-whiskers plots color-coded. I don't need the "Station 1" or
"Station 2" labels but I used this code as a starting point for the code I
wanted write.  .

I wanted the y-axis to read "Number of People Attended" instead of "Oxigen
(%)"

and the x-axis to refer to the particular meeting in question:

   Meeting1, Meeting2, Meeting3, Meeting4, Meeting5

which corresponds to variables var1, var2, var3, var4, var5.

Each of the box and whiskers would show the median number, along with
interquartile values, of each of these Meetings. The color coding is not
necessarily but I think would make it a bit easier to read for observers.

I apologize again for the convoluted reply and the HTML error.