[R] plotmath not available on R 3.2.2

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Sat Dec 12 20:02:04 CET 2015

> On Dec 12, 2015, at 12:33 PM, Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:
>
>> A couple of things:
>>
>> First, there is a SIG list specifically for R on Fedora and RHEL distributions and their derivatives:

>> Second, how did you install R? If you used the precompiled binary RPMS for Fedora that are available by using 'yum':
>>
>>  sudo yum install R
>
> Thanks! I install using
>
> sudo dnf install R-devel libRmath-devel

Ok, I have not used Fedora since early 2009, when I moved to Macs, but it looks like 'dnf' is the follow on package manager to 'yum', starting with Fedora 18 in parallel and is now the default, replacing yum since Fedora 22.

In either case, you should be using:

  sudo dnf install R

where R is a meta-package, that will install all of R and its dependencies. You are obviating the value of the package manager by using the incantation that you have above. You don't want to install the individual RPMs via the package manager separately and that is likely what is getting you into trouble here.

>> then the standard R components and their dependencies, that are part of the default distribution, would be installed via the precompiled binary RPMS.
>>
>> There is no need to install the base or recommended packages separately.
>>
>> That is the easiest way to install R on Fedora. Yes, it may be a version release or two out of date, especially since 3.2.3 was just released this past week. It will typically take a few days or perhaps a bit longer, before the RPM maintainers release a new binary.
>
> Thanks! I did not believe that this was a Fedora issue, hence I posted here. As it turns out, I have not been posting on this ML for a while, and indeed, I should have actually waited a bit longer...i.e. I was too hasty.

The Fedora SIG list is for what would typically be OS specific issues, that would not be applicable to other useRs on other Linuxen, Windows and OS X. Installation problems would typically be included in that category.

Regards,

Marc