[R] [R-pkgs] WriteXLS Version 4.0.0 Released

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Mon Dec 7 19:45:10 CET 2015

Hi all,

WriteXLS version 4.0.0 has been released. It should start appearing in source tarballs and binaries in due course on CRAN mirrors.

The primary changes in this new version are:

1. The new ability to specify either a single data frame object or a list object that contains one or more data frames.

Previously one needed to specify a character vector of the quoted names of data frames or the quoted name of a list containing one or more data frames.

I have had several requests to also allow the objects themselves to be passed and this is now possible, in addition to the original functionality. The use of quoted names has also been one of the more common sources of confusion in the use of the function.

Please see the examples in ?WriteXLS for the differences in calling the function with quoted names versus objects.

It was my goal to not break existing code and this has been tested with the new functionality, so please let me know if any one runs into any issues.

2. A new 'na' argument, defaulting to "" (blank) for backward compatibility, that allows one to specify the character value to be used in the target Excel file, when NA values are encountered in the source data frame. This is a parallel to the same argument in ?write.table.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz