[R] Issues with RPostgres

John McKown john.archie.mckown at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 22:46:38 CEST 2015

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Abraham Mathew <mathewanalytics at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have a user-defined function that I'm using alongside a postgresql
> connection to
> summarize some data. I've connected to the local machine with no problem.
> However,
> the connection keeps throwing the following error when I attempt to use it.
> Can anyone point
> to what I could be doing wrong.
>
> > ds_summary(con, "test", vars=c("Age"), y=c("Class"))
> Error in postgresqlNewConnection(drv, ...) :
>   RS-DBI driver: (could not connect postgres at localhost on dbname "test"
> )
>

> con is the connection

​It would be helpful to see the assignment to "con" as well as any other
assignments related to this. If you are using the DBI package, then what I
am talking about would be something like:

drv<-dbDriver("PgSQL")
con<-dbConnect(drb,user=...,password=...,dbname="test');

>From looking at the message, it appears to me that you are trying to
connect to PostgreSQL as the "postgres" user. That just seems wrong to me.
Normally that user is only for administration purposes. It does not
normally contain user tables such as "test". I would think that what you
needed would be your PostgreSQL user id. Or the id of the owner of the
"test" table.​