[R] Metafor and forest(); not showing 'ilab' and text

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Tue Aug 25 15:54:46 CEST 2015

Further comments in line as well.

Also, if you have lots of outcomes, you may need to increase the height of the plotting device to make everything fit (or you need to reduce the font size even further, but things will become illegible eventually).

> > - SIMdv, SIMiv are shown as number while on mine .csv are actually
> > text variable.

Those variables are apparently coded as factors, so use data.frame() instead of cbind() to avoid the coercion to integer codes.

> > regarding the rma.mv package, I set it up this way (preliminarily)
> >

> I will leave this one to Wolfgang to answer.
>
> > multi <- rma.mv(pc, var, random = ~ 1 | author, data=codebook)
> >
> > I'm trying to compare the results with this equation, which is what -
> > I think, correct me if I'm wrong -  in econometrics we call
> > author-fixed effect, that is, model which are constant across
> > individuals (the random\fix notation is a bit tricky):
> >
> > author_fix <- rma(pc, var, mods = ~ I(author), data=codebook,
> method="ML")
> >
> > What I was wondering if that the two equation above mentioned also
> > correct for heteroskedasticity which I need since my studies have
> > different sample and specifications.

I cannot comment on model choices. But yes, the functions properly account for the fact that the sampling variances are heteroskedastic.