[R] accessing CRAN through a proxy on 3.2.2

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 19:00:38 CEST 2015

With the previous versions of R (my latest is 3.2.1) I have had no problem
getting through the proxy for the firewall at work.  I installed the latest
version (3.2.2) and now cannot get through the firewall.  There is the
session:

R version 3.2.2 (2015-08-14) -- "Fire Safety"
Copyright (C) 2015 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
  Natural language support but running in an English locale
Type 'q()' to quit R.
> Sys.setenv(http_proxy = "http://10.254.16.12:3128/", http_proxy_user =
"ask")
> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
Error in download.file(url, destfile = f, quiet = TRUE) :
  cannot open URL 'https://cran.r-project.org/CRAN_mirrors.csv'
In addition: Warning message:
In download.file(url, destfile = f, quiet = TRUE) :
  cannot open: HTTP status was '407 Proxy Authentication Required'
Warning: unable to access index for repository
https://rweb.crmda.ku.edu/cran/src/contrib
Warning: unable to access index for repository
http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/src/contrib
Error in install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1L], dependencies = NA, type =
type) :
  no packages were specified
> sessionInfo()
R version 3.2.2 (2015-08-14)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows 7 x64 (build 7601) Service Pack 1
locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252
attached base packages:
[1] tools_3.2.2

I was running with "--vanilla" on the RGUI.  I have seen that there were
some other people having issues with 3.2.2 and proxies.  Is there a fix out
there, or are there some other options I need to setup for 3.2.2 to access
through a proxy?

Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru