[R] Newbie question: error message with install.packages

Peter Wicher pjwicher at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 19:09:00 CEST 2015

Many thanks.

Yes, I am using the R.app GUI:
[R.app GUI 1.66 (6996) x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0]

At startup,

> getOption("repos")
    CRAN
"@CRAN@"

Then when attempting again to install RWeka I'm able to select the mirror,
and after that the result is the same as yours:

> getOption("repos")
                           CRAN
"https://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu"

Unfortunately the same error message happens with install.packages, for
example:
> install.packages("err")
Error: Line starting '<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLI ...' is malformed!

I've confirmed that Java 8 update 60 is correctly loaded.

Interestingly I've loaded R on my Windows machine and this error message
doesn't happen, the packages load properly.

Peter