[R] Recursive looping of a list in R

Gerrit Eichner Gerrit.Eichner at math.uni-giessen.de
Sun Aug 9 11:49:52 CEST 2015

Hi Evans,

not many people (incl. me) are going to guess the building law for your
recursive structure from the -- in fact at first sight not so clear --
picture, but I have some comments inline below.

  Hth  --  Gerrit

> I am trying to creat a list from a loop such that once you loop the
> value obtained is appended onto the list, then you loop through that
> value to give the next elemet of the list and the system continues
> recusively. To be clear I am creating a list to contain elements of the
> following tree probabilities;
> <http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n4710898/help.png> .
> The elements of the diagram should be presented in a list such that each
> level of the tree represents elements in the list (only the coefficients
> are of interest). I have this code to start with

If you use a while-loop without a termination criterion and, e.g., a call
to break, in its body it would run forever (if the code in its body were
correct). Start coding with a (finite) for-loop. (Or even better start
setting j and i "by hand" and let your code be evaluated step by step.)

> j <- 0
>
> while(j >= 0){
>
>  j <- j+1

Here you create in each loop the same starting list (which I guess is not
what you want/should):

>  occlist <- list(1)

So, as a consequence an error occurs for j >= 2 in the following for-loop,
because occlist has always only 1 component:

>  for(i in occlist[[j]]){
>
>    occ_cell <- seq(i, i+1, by = 1)

The following two lines of code compensate each other, so seem to be
superfluous: