[R] download

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Apr 26 00:26:41 CEST 2015

On 26/04/15 01:46, s f jalaei wrote:

> I am a student from Sweden.

My heartiest condolences to you! :-)

> I would like to download and install R program to work on statistics.

Go for it!  No home should be without one! :-)

> If I want to download 2014 version, how I can do this.

Why on earth not use the latest and greatest, which is simple and easy?

If you insist on using an antiquated version you will have to install
from source, which can be a little bit of a challenge --- particularly
if you are using Windoze, which I presume (Psigh!!!) that you are.

To get a source tar ball for an antiquated version, go to the R web
site, click on CRAN, choose your mirror, click on

     "Source code of older versions of R is available here."

and then choose "R3" for 2014 releases.

> Also, do I need to choose Sweden in Cran Mirrors list?

Why don't you just try, and see?  No one will shoot you.  But the answer
is no, you don't need to.  It's supposed to be somewhat quicker/more
efficient to choose a mirror that is geographically close to you, but I
doubt that you'd really notice much difference in performance between a
Swedish mirror and an Australian one.  OTOH you *might as well* use a
Swedish mirror.  I mean, like, why not?  Are you trying to hide your
tracks from the NSA? :-)

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--