[R] run Rscript and ignore errors?

Jue Lin-Ye jl.iccp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 16:06:00 CEST 2015

Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil <at> dcn.davis.ca.us> writes:

> This seems like a recipe for garbage results to me, but there may be I
something you can set the error option
> to. See ?options.

> Jeff Newmiller                        The     .....       .....  Go
Live...
> DCN:<jdnewmil <at> dcn.davis.ca.us>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.
Live Go...
> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.
rocks...1k

> On April 23, 2015 9:51:31 AM PDT, Nick Matzke <nickmatzke.ncse <at>
gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hi R-help,
> >
> >I've looked at google, the Rscript documentation and the Rscript --help
> >output and haven't found much on this.  So, here's my question:
> >
> >I have a rather long script that runs on various input datasets.  It is
> >quite convenient to run the script from the Terminal command line with
> >"Rscript scriptname.R"
> >
> >However, some datasets will cause errors. These are non-essential
> >errors --
> >just some datasets don't have certain columns so certain parts of the
> >overall analysis don't produce figures etc.  Yes, I could go through
> >the
> >whole script and insert try() statements, etc.  But I'm lazy.
> >
> >So, is there a way to run Rscript or something similar, and just have
> >it
> >ignore all errors (i.e., keep running through the script)?  I.e., just
> >like
> >what happens if you just copy-paste the whole script into the R window
> >--
> >errors happen and are noted but the rest of the script keeps running.
> >
> >Thanks very much for any help!!
> >
> >Cheers!
> >Nick

This is a really, really simple "life-hack" of mine after failed past
attemps to solve this
​ issue​
:
Option
​1​
: Write an if(foreseen error){empty} so if _that_ happens, the code just
ignores it.
​​Option 2: Try to run same code for the different initial values in
different windows, so if one stops, another one keeps running.​
I am interested in finding a real solution
​ (like the one proposed above by Mr. Newmiller)​
, so I am looking forward to some more expert's say.

Best regards.

Jue