[R] Exhaustive CHAID package

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Wed Apr 22 20:06:40 CEST 2015

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015, Michael Grant wrote:

> Many thanks for your response, sir.
>
> Here are two of the references to which I referred.  I've also
> personally explored several data sets in which the outcomes are 'known'
> and have seen high variability in the topology of the trees being
> produced but, typically Exhaustive CHAID predictions match the 'known'
> results better than any of the others, using default settings.
>
> http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jam/2014/929768/
> http://interstat.statjournals.net/YEAR/2010/articles/1007001.pdf

Thanks for the references, I wasn't aware of these. Both of these appear
to use the SPSS implementations of CHAID, exhaustive CHAID, CART, and
QUEST with default settings (as you did above). As I have never used these
myself in SPSS, I cannot say how the implementations compare but it's well
possible that these are different from other implementations. E.g., for
CART the pruning rule may make a difference (with or without
crossvalidation; with 1-SE or 0-SE rule etc.). Similarly, for QUEST I
think that Loh's own implementation uses somewhat different default
settings.

So it may be advisable to go beyond defaults.

> By inference, many research papers are choosing Exhaustive CHAID.

My experience is that this is determined to a good degree by the software
available and what others in the same literature use.

> My concern is not that these procedures produce mildly variant trees but
> dramatically variant, with not even the same set of variables included.

Yes, instability of the tree structure is one of the drawbacks of
tree-based procedures. Of course, the tree structure can be very different
while producing very similar predictions.

> Is CHAID available for use as an R package?

Yes.

> I thought R-FORGE was solely for developers?

See: https://R-Forge.R-project.org/R/?group_id=343

You can easily install the package from R-Forge and also check out the
entire source code anonymously.