[R] Problem with col

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 19:05:44 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 12:56 PM, Sonia Amin <soniaamin5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry Sarah  for my basic question: what does "a column was read as factor"
> mean?

A factor is one of the basic types of data in R, and in statistics
generally, eg M/F or red/white/blue - a predetermined set of
categories that may or may not have an order.

More relevantly, if there's something wrong in your data, a stray
letter or quote mark for instance, that column is no longer numeric,
and R will read it as a factor by default, otherwise as character.

str(data)

which is NOT the same as just typing data, will show you the classes
of your columns, among other things.

> When I type data , I obtain all the numeric values and the headears  I added
> (Consommation,Cylindre,Puissance,Poids)

If you just look at data directly, you'll see what look like numbers,
perhaps, but according to R one or more columns are not actually
numbers. That's why you need str(data).

Your problem looks like a lack of basic understanding of how R works.
Here are a couple of sources that might help you get started:
http://www.burns-stat.com/documents/tutorials/impatient-r/
http://cyclismo.org/tutorial/R/

For more help, you should provide at least the output of str(data) to
the list, and ideally a reproducible example. Here are some
suggestions for creating a good reproducible example:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example

Sarah