[R] Running R Remotely on LINUX

John McKown john.archie.mckown at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 20:20:35 CEST 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Michael Haenlein <haenlein at escpeurope.eu>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> ​<snip>
>

> (3) Can I open several instances of R in parallel? On my PC I sometimes
> have 2-3 windows open in parallel that work on different calculations to
> save time. Not sure to which extent this is possible on LINUX.

​In addition to my off-list reply, you might want to talk to your Linux
person to see if you can use VNC no NoMachine (https://www.nomachine.com/)
to get a Linux graphical desktop ​connection (similar in concept to Windows
Remote Desktop) going. If you can do this, and can get KDE as the desktop
environment, then you can have a very Windows-ish Linux desktop displayed
on your Windows machine. But it will still be nice even with Gnome, or
XFCE, or even one of the other desktops (Linux has a lot of them, but I
think KDE is most similar to Windows U.I.) This will allow you to use
RStudio on Linux or have multiple terminal sessions going for multiple R
sessions. But this will _not_ allow you to disconnect from Linux while
maintaining the graphical desktop. At least, I don't think you can do that.
I could be wrong.

--
If you sent twitter messages while exploring, are you on a textpedition?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown