[R] change language at console

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 1 16:42:29 CEST 2015

On 01/04/2015 15:14, Alaios via R-help wrote:
> Hi all,I am a linux R user and my default R environemnt (after writing R in linux console) returns the error messages in German (I am not the system adminitstrator and I can not change system settings). I know that the English package is also installed so I guess I need to set some environmental variable for this.Any idea how I am doing that?
> RegardsAlex
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Please do (and not send HTML).  It is in the manual,
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#Internationalization
and specifically
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#Localization-of-messages

I would start by trying LANGUAGE=en , e.g.

LANGUAGE=en R

or

env LANGUAGE=en R

depending on your shell.