[R] draw piecharts or histograms at the points of a scatterplot

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 11:13:54 CEST 2014

On 28/09/2014, 6:10 PM, rhelp at numberland.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I?m fairly new to R and have a problem mentioned in the subject ...
>
> I want to draw a scatterplot in 3d - either with scatterplot3d or -
> preferably - with the rgl package - but instead of points or text
> (text3d command of rgl) I would like to draw either histograms or pie
> charts to visualize further properties of the objects.
>
> Is there a way to do this?

One way would be to use the symbols() function with scatterplot3d(), if
symbols() is sufficient to show the other properties.

A more complicated way would be to write the individual plots to .png
files, and then use sprites3d() in rgl to plot those pictures at the
point locations.  (These are 2d sprites, not 3d sprites.) I'm not sure
how good it would look:  sprites tend to look blurry because of all the
resizing that takes place.

Duncan Murdoch