[R] Quantile

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Sep 16 03:16:46 CEST 2014

On Sep 15, 2014, at 11:17 AM, Felix Dietrich wrote:

> Hi, I want to use the quantile function, the example shown under "help"
>
> x <- rnorm(1001)
> quantile(x <- rnorm(1001)) # Extremes & Quartiles by default
> quantile(x,  probs = c(0.1, 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 50, NA)/100)
>
> I get the following error:
> Error in quantile(x, probs = c(0.1, 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 50, NA)/100) :
>  unused argument (probs = c(0.1, 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 50, NA)/100)
>
> The argument probs does not seems to work. I tried many other variations. Does anybody have an idea?

You have probably already read the responses to the duplicate question you posed on StackOverfow earlier today that said this problem could not be duplicated by anyone who responded, and one leading theory is that you or one of the packages has overwritten the `quantile` function.

This is what the code shows:

>  quantile
function (x, ...)
UseMethod("quantile")
<bytecode: 0x10247ddf0>
<environment: namespace:stats>

That may be informative in your case.

Please read the Posting Guide. It asks that you not crosspost. If you post a followup to rhelp, then the reading of the Posting guide will tell you that much more in the way of detail about your setup was requested.

--

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA