[R] some question about vector[-NULL]

Philippe GROSJEAN Philippe.GROSJEAN at umons.ac.be
Thu Sep 11 17:27:29 CEST 2014

..............................................<°}))><........
 ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
 ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
 ) ) ) ) )   Mons University, Belgium
( ( ( ( (

On 11 Sep 2014, at 17:18, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/09/2014 3:29 AM, Philippe GROSJEAN wrote:
>> On 11 Sep 2014, at 08:24, PIKAL Petr <petr.pikal at precheza.cz> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > You still do not disclose important info about details of your functions. However, when you want to perform indexing like you show, you maybe can get rid of NULL and use zero instead.

>> > [1] 2 4 5
>> > [1] 2 4 5
>> > [1] 2 4 5
>> > [1] 2 4 5
>> >
>> > However I am almost sure that you are fishing in murky waters and what you do by cycle and fiddling with NULL elements can be achieved by more efficiently.
>> >
>> … and also look at this weird case:
>>
>> > a <- 1:5
>> > a[-0]
>> integer(0)
>> > a[-c(0, 0)]
>> integer(0)
>
> What do you find to be weird about this?  As far as I can see it is acting exactly as the documentation suggests it should:  -0 is treated the same as 0.  Zero as an index selects nothing.  Two zeroes also select nothing.  What's the surprise?
>
> Duncan Murdoch

No, it is not a surprise, nor a problem with the behaviour of R, really. It is just in connection with Petr's suggestion to replace NULL by 0. I just wanted to indicate that it could produce unwanted results in several cases.

Philippe