[R] R for chemistry

Thu Sep 4 20:29:06 CEST 2014

R is useful for quite a range of applications, but not everything. I recommend planning on learning multiple programming languages eventually, because each type of problem has its own set of "useful phrases". An example of this in R is comparing the base, lattice, and ggplot models of graph generation... each has its own perspective that is valuable in different contexts. Another example might be in iterative algorithms... these are often implemented in C or C++ or Fortran and called from R. It is common to build packages in R to create convenient groups of functions that are useful for specific problem types, but other languages sometimes have features that make these packages look clumsy. Knowing about how other languages do things can make it easier to see better solutions in R, or even avoid struggling with poorly-suited functions.

In the vein of communicating appropriately, be sure follow the instructions in the footer of this or any other post, which among other things asks you to not post in HTML on this list.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing