[R] snow/Rmpi without MPI.spawn?

Leek, Jim leek2 at llnl.gov
Thu Sep 4 07:24:30 CEST 2014

Thanks for the tips.  I'll take a look around for for loops in the morning.

I think the example you provided worked for OpenMPI.  (The default on our machine is MPICH2, but it gave the same error about calling spawn.)  Anyway, with OpenMPI I got this:

> # salloc -n 12 orterun -n 1 R -f spawn.R
> library(Rmpi)
> ## Recent Rmpi bug -- should be mpi.universe.size() nWorkers <- mpi.universe.size()
> nslaves = 4
> mpi.spawn.Rslaves(nslaves)
Reported: 2 (out of 2) daemons - 4 (out of 4) procs

Then it hung there.  So things spawned anyway, which is progress.  I'm just not sure is that expected behavior for parSupply or not.

Jim