[R] Simulating from a Weibull distribution

Lucy Leigh lucy.leigh at newcastle.edu.au
Wed Sep 3 03:52:09 CEST 2014

Hi,
I wish to simulate some data from a Weibull distribution. The rweibull function in R uses the parameterisation

'with shape parameter a and scale parameter b has density given by f(x) = (a/b) (x/b)^(a-1) exp(- (x/b)^a)'.

However, it would be much more useful for me to simulate data using a different parameterisation of the

Weibull, with shape a1 and scale b1,  namely f(x) = a1*b1*x^(a1-1)exp(-b1*x^a1).

However I'm not sure how to do this, as I have only ever used the random generators that come pre-programmed in R.

Is there a package or example someone can point me to that demonstrates how to simulate data from any given distribution?

Cheers,

Lucy