[R] Ways to get all function signatures of a library?

Thorsten Jolitz tjolitz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 15:51:47 CET 2014

Bert Gunter <gunter.berton at gene.com> writes:

> Perhaps the
> ?formals
> function in R is what you are looking for. Or maybe its (internal C) code.

yes, thats a pretty good fit (and no, I'm not asking about internal C
code), thanks.

So now that I have ways to extract machine-readable info about an R
function, how can I map all functions in an R package without having
prior knowledge about the package's content?

In pseudo-code, something like (apply 'formals (pkg-functions "PKG")).

If I'm lucky, there exist another simple function for that too
... thanks again for any hints.

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 6:09 AM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi List,
>>
>> are there ways to get signatures of all functions of a library in a
>> format that is easy to process by a programm (list, xml or so)?
>>
>> The info about function name, return value and arguments (types) is all
>> there in the docs, but more in a human readable format embedded in much
>> extra information. How to extract it without writing a documentation
>> parser or so? I'm pretty sure the functionality exists, but did not find
>> it.
>>
>> Thanks for any hint.
>>
>> --
>> cheers,