[R] How to clear R memory in a for loop

Dimitri Liakhovitski dimitri.liakhovitski at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 18:05:45 CEST 2014

Jeff,

here is what I do with each file using library(tuneR):

b<-readMP3("cairnomount.mp3")
myrange<-range(b at left)
write.table(myrange,"x myrange.txt",sep="\t")

Would you like me to attach a bunch of large mp3 files?
I don't feel I have the right to clog people's inboxes with large files.

Thanks!

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us>
wrote:

> You don't say what processing you are doing.. the answer to your question
> is very likely there. To communicate effectively on this mailing list,
> self-contained examples are needed. And in order to not corrupt the example
> you will need to post in plain text.
> DCN:<jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live
> Go...
> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...1k
>
> On October 20, 2014 8:30:21 AM PDT, Dimitri Liakhovitski <
> dimitri.liakhovitski at gmail.com> wrote:
> >Dear Rers,
> >
> >I am trying to run a for-loop in R.
> >During each iteration I read in an mp3 file and do some basic
> >processing.
> >If I do what I need to do for each file one by one - it works fine.
> >But once I start running a loop, it soon runs out of memory and says:
> >can't
> >allocate a vector of size...
> >In each iteration of my loop I always overwrite the previously created
> >object and do gc().
> >
> >Any hints on how to fight this?
> >
> >Thanks a lot!

Dimitri Liakhovitski