[R] Storing vectors as vectors in a list without losing each individual vector

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Oct 14 11:25:14 CEST 2014

On Oct 13, 2014 11:58 PM, "Patricia Seo" <pseo at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> My help request is similar to what was asked by Ken Termiso on April
18th, 2005. Link here:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2005-April/069729.html

> Matt Wiener answered with suggesting a vector list where you hand type
each of the vectors. This is not what I want to do. What I want to do is
automate the process. So, in other words creating a list through a loop.

> For example:
>
> My data frame is called "df" and I have four variables/vectors that are
v7, v8, v9, 10. Each variable/vector is an integer (no character strings).
I want to create a list called "Indexes" so that I can use this list for
"for-in" loops to SEPARATELY plot each and every variable/vector.

> If I followed Matt Wiener's suggestion, I would input this:
>

> Indexes = list()
> Indexes[[1]] = df$v7
> Indexes[[2]] = df$v8
> Indexes[[3]] = df$v9
> Indexes[[4]] = df$v10
>
> But if I want to include more than four variable/vectors (let's say I
want to include 25 of them!), I do not want to have to type all of it. If I
do the following command:

> Indexes <- c(df$v7, df$v8, df$v9, df$v10)
>
> then I run into the same problem as Ken Termiso with having all the
integers in one vector. I need to keep the variables/vectors separate.

Does

Indexes <- list(df$v7, df$v8, df$v9, df$v10)

do what you want?

Henrik