[R] understanding the no-label concept

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Sat Oct 11 22:04:45 CEST 2014

It looks like a terminology issue.  R has names for elements of a
vector and for rows and
columns of a matrix or data.frame, and more generally for all
dimensions of multi-dimensional array.

I think your next step is to read the introductory document.
Start with either of these (they are the same content)
system.file("../../doc/manual/R-intro.html")
system.file("../../doc/manual/R-intro.pdf")

For the specific situations you described, here are examples.

aa <- 1:5
names(aa) <- letters[1:5]
aa
names(aa) <- c("ABC","DEF","GHI","LMN","OPQ")
aa

bb <- matrix(1:12, 3, 4, dimnames=list(letters[1:3], LETTERS[1:4]))
bb

## install.packages("Hmisc") ## if you don't have it yet
library(Hmisc)
latex(bb)

Rich