[R] How can I overwrite a method in R?

Tim Hesterberg timhesterberg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 08:14:55 CEST 2014

How can I create an improved version of a method in R, and have it be used?

Short version:
I think plot.histogram has a bug, and I'd like to try a version with a fix.
But when I call hist(), my fixed version doesn't get used.

Long version:
hist() calls plot() which calls plot.histogram() which fails to pass ...
when it calls plot.window().
As a result hist() ignores xaxs and yaxs arguments.
I'd like to make my own copy of plot.histogram that passes ... to
plot.window().

If I just make my own copy of plot.histogram, plot() ignores it, because my
version is not part of the same graphics package that plot belongs to.

If I copy hist, hist.default and plot, the copies inherit the same
environments as
the originals, and behave the same.

If I also change the environment of each to .GlobalEnv, hist.default fails
in
a .Call because it cannot find C_BinCount.