[R] get names of glm and related families from an object

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Sat Oct 4 18:45:13 CEST 2014

In a function I'm writing, I want to handle a variety of families of
glm() and related models
including MASS::glm.nb() and hopefully countreg::hurdle(), zeroinfl().
A central part of the function
is a switch() call

     family <- object$family$family
     switch(family,
             "binomial" = {
                 },
             "quasibinomial" = {
                 },
             "poisson" = {
                 },
             "quasipoisson" = {
                 },
             "gaussian" = {
                 }
             )

But I discovered that the object$family$family slot doesn't work the
same way with glm.nb --
I get, e.g.,
 > nmes.nbin2$family$family
[1] "Negative Binomial(1.2354)"
and the countreg functions don't return a family component.

I think I have to also use class(object), and a more complicated
computation of family,
but maybe there's a simpler way?

-Michael

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept. & Chair, Quantitative Methods