[R] plot.hclust point to older version

Michael Mason MMason at benaroyaresearch.org
Tue Nov 25 22:01:32 CET 2014

Thanks! That worked

From: William Dunlap <wdunlap at tibco.com<mailto:wdunlap at tibco.com>>
Date: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 12:53 PM
To: Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz<mailto:r.turner at auckland.ac.nz>>
Cc: Michael Mason <mmason at benaroyaresearch.org<mailto:mmason at benaroyaresearch.org>>, R help <R-help at r-project.org<mailto:R-help at r-project.org>>
Subject: Re: [R] plot.hclust point to older version

You probably have a local copy of an old version of plot.hclust or plot.dendrogram in your global environmenet or another package that masks the one in package:stats.  E.g., I fired up R-2.14.2 and copied those 2 plot methods to .GlobalEnv and then saved by workspace when quitting R.  I then fired up R-3.1.1, which loads the workspace saved by the older version of R.  I get:

> objects()
[1] "plot.dendrogram" "plot.hclust"
> plot(hclust(dist(c(2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19))))
Error in .Internal(dend.window(n, merge, height, hang, labels, ...)) :
  there is no .Internal function 'dend.window'
> traceback()
2: plot.hclust(hclust(dist(c(2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19))))
1: plot(hclust(dist(c(2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19))))

Note how calling traceback() after an error gives more information about the source of the error.

To fix this, get rid of the .RData file that is being loaded when R starts.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com<http://tibco.com>

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz<mailto:r.turner at auckland.ac.nz>> wrote:
On 26/11/14 08:53, Michael Mason wrote:
Here you are. I expect most folks won't get the error.

N   = 100; M = 1000
mat = matrix(1:(N*M) + rnorm(N*M,0,.5),N,M)
h   = hclust(as.dist(1-cor(mat)))
plot(h)

Error in .Internal(dend.window(n, merge, height2, hang, labels, ...)) :
   there is no .Internal function 'dend.window'

Thanks again

On 11/25/14 11:29 AM, "Rolf Turner" <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz<mailto:r.turner at auckland.ac.nz>> wrote:

Reproducible example???

(I know from noddink about hclust, but I tried the example from the help
page and it plotted without any problem.)

cheers,

Rolf Turner

On 26/11/14 06:13, Michael Mason wrote:
Hello fellow R users,

I have recently updated to R 3.1.2. When trying to plot an hclust
object to generate the dendrogram I get the following error:

Error in .Internal(dend.window(n, merge, height2, hang, labels, ...)) :
    there is no .Internal function 'dend.window'

I am indeed using R3.1.2 but my understanding is that the .Internal API
to the C code is no longer used. I have tried detaching the stats
package and restarting R to no avail.
I would love any help from any wiser guRus.

Please keep communications on-list; there are others on the list far more likely to be able to help you than I.  I am cc-ing this reply to the list.

For what it's worth, I can run your example without error.

As to how to track down what is going wrong on your system, I'm afraid I have no idea.  Someone on the list may have some thoughts.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Rolf Turner