[R] Gender balance in R

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fredhutch.org
Tue Nov 25 19:15:27 CET 2014

On 11/25/2014 04:11 AM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 12:34 PM, Sarah Goslee <sarah.goslee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I took a look at apparent gender among list participants a few years ago:
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2011-June/280272.html
>>
>> Same general thing: very few regular participants on the list were
>> women. I don't see any sign that that has changed in the last three
>> years. The bar to participation in the R-help list is much, much lower
>> than that to become a developer.
>
> I plotted the gender of posters on r-help over time. The plot is here:
> https://twitter.com/scottkosty/status/449933971644633088
>
> The code to reproduce that plot is here:
> https://github.com/scottkosty/genderAnalysis
> The R file there will call devtools::install_github to install a
> package from Github used for guessing the gender based on the first
> name (https://github.com/scottkosty/gender).

It would be great to include in your package the script that scraped author
names from R-help archives (I guess that's what you did?). Presumably it easily
applies to other mailing lists hosted at the same location (R-devel, further
along the ladder from user to developer, and Bioconductor / Bioc-devel, in a
different domain and perhaps confounded with a different 'feel' to the list).
Also the R community is definitely international, so finding more versatile
gender-assignment approaches seems important.

it might be interesting to ask about participation in mailing list forums versus
other, and in particular the recent Bioconductor transition from mailing list to
'StackOverflow' style support forum (https://support.bioconductor.org) -- on the
one hand the 'gamification' elements might seem to only entrench male
participation, while on the other we have already seen increased (quantifiable)
and broader (subjective) participation from the Bioconductor community. I'd be
happy to make support site usage data available, and am interested in
collaborating in an academically well-founded analysis of this data; any
interested parties please feel free to contact me off-list.

Martin Morgan
Bioconductor