[R] How to print labels and how to add missing label values?

Edoardo Prestianni edoardo.prestianni at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 19:23:16 CET 2014

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the "rookie" question but this is really beyond me at the moment.

Here is my problem

I have three datasets I am trying to work on. They're three panels.

They have this variable, 'kecnum', which is present in all the three
datasets, and it looks like it has been labeled in only one of the three
datasets.

When I import the datasets, R gives me a WARNING, stating

[code] value labels (‘kecnum’) for ‘kecnum’ are missing [/code]

for two datasets out of three.

Looking at the tables, you see that the variable grows normally...   (like
1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5...) in the datasets for which the warning is
given.
For the dataset for which the warning is NOT given, I just have a list of
"NA"

If I use the "describe" command, R prints out just
[code] kecnum : Variable label for variable kecnum [/code]

for all the THREE datasets.

Only using Rstudio I can "see" a difference in the labeling of the variable
between the datasets for which I am "warned" and the one for which I am not
(screenshots attatched)

But I have no idea on how to print that stuff out on a terminal. And most
of all, on how to fix my datasets.

Thank you very much for your time.