[R] Generate random numbers under constrain

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sat Nov 22 16:54:19 CET 2014

I don't understand this discussion at all.

n random numbers constrained to have sum <=1 are still random. They are not all independent.

That said, the original poster's question is ill=formed since there can be multiple distributions these random numbers come from.

best wishes,
Ranjan

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 10:29:18 -0500 Boris Steipe <boris.steipe at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> These are contradictory requirements: either you have n random numbers from the interval [0,1), then you can't guarantee anything about their sum except that it will be in [0,n). Or you constrain the sum, then your random numbers cannot be random in [0,1). You could possibly scale the random numbers:
> n <- 13
> x <- runif(n)
> x <- x / sum(x)
> x; sum(x)
>
> This will guarantee that their sum is 1 (to numerical accuracy), but your numbers are then effectively drawn from the interval [0,2/n) for large n.
>
> B.
>

> On Nov 22, 2014, at 9:29 AM, Ragia Ibrahim <ragia11 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Dear all,
> > I use R 3.1.1 for Windows.
> > kindly how can I generate n number of random numbers with probability from [0,1]
> > and their sum must not be more than one
> > thanks in advance
> > Ragia
> >

> > 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.