[R] reading data using XTS package

Joshua Ulrich josh.m.ulrich at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 15:52:29 CET 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:42 PM, Upananda Pani <upananda.pani at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I want to read the my time series data using XTS package and then to
> calculate return using PeformanceAnalytics Package  but i am getting the
> following error. Please help me to solve the problem. The error follows:
>
> # Required Libraries
>> library(xts)
>> library(PerformanceAnalytics)
>>
>> #Reading Data
>> x<-read.csv('crude.csv')
>> y<-xts(x[,1:2],as.numeric(x[,2:2]),order.by
> =as.Date(x[,1],format='%d-%b-%y'))
>> close <- y$close
>>
>> #Calculating Return
>> rspot = Return.calculate(close, method = c ("discrete"))
> Error in `/.default`(pr, lag(pr)) :
>   non-numeric argument to binary operator
>

> I am not getting where i am committing the mistake.

I'm not sure what you were trying to do, because:
1) You didn't provide a reproducible example (I don't have 'crude.csv'), and
2) it doesn't make sense to use unnamed arguments for the first two
arguments, and then use a named argument to re-specify the second
argument (order.by).

You probably wanted something like:
close <- xts(x[,2], as.Date(x[,1], format='%d-%b-%y'))

> With sincere regards,
> Upananda
>
> --
>

> You may delay, but time will not.