[R] number of weights in multinom ?

Franck Vermet franck.vermet at univ-brest.fr
Tue Nov 18 13:08:33 CET 2014

I have the book by W. Venables and B. Ripley, but I didn't find the answer.

Here is an explicit example :

library(nnet)
data(fgl)
ir.glm <- multinom(type ~., data=fgl)

# weights:  66 (50 variable)
initial  value 383.436526
iter  10 value 259.867465
iter  20 value 184.185706
iter  30 value 146.240801
iter  40 value 139.340485
iter  50 value 136.405273
iter  60 value 132.523057
iter  70 value 131.095461
iter  80 value 130.303792
iter  90 value 128.402012
iter 100 value 127.396942
final  value 127.396942
stopped after 100 iterations

I understand that there are 50 variable weights, but I still not understand the sense of the value '66' in this model.

I'm sorry to spam the system;
I'm using R-help for the first time.

Franck Vermet.