[R] segfault with readDCF on R 3.1.2 on AIX 6.1 when using install.packages

Vinh Nguyen vinhdizzo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 17:10:49 CET 2014

Dear list,

I was able to successfully compile R on our AIX box at work using the
GNU compilers following the instructions on the R Administration
guide.  The output can be seen at here
(https://gist.github.com/nguyenvinh/504321ea9c89d8919bef) and yields
no errors .

However, I get a segfault whenever I try to use the install.packages
function to install packages.  Using debug, I was able to trace it to
the readDCF function:

Browse[2]>
debug: if (!all) return(.Internal(readDCF(file, fields, keep.white)))
Browse[2]>
debug: return(.Internal(readDCF(file, fields, keep.white)))
Browse[2]>

 *** caught segfault ***
address 4, cause 'invalid permissions'

Possible actions:
1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
2: normal R exit
3: exit R without saving workspace
4: exit R saving workspace
Selection:

Was curious if anyone has a clue on why such error exists or what I
could do to fix it?  I'm able to install packages via R CMD INSTALL,
but I would hate to have to manually determine dependencies, download
the source for each package, and install them "by hand" via R CMD
INSTALL.  Would be great to get this resolved.  Thank you for your
help.

-- Vinh