[R] Second axis on bottom of graph

Tue May 27 19:56:40 CEST 2014

Well, the short answer is "don't do that" (resize after the fact). Resize your graphic window first and then re-tune your annotations for that size.

The longer answer is that the lattice and ggplot2 packages were developed in part in response to the limitations of base graphics. They don't necessarily offer the kind of fine tuning you have been doing but they are generally resizeable and simpler to create as long as your graph type is supported. Unfortunately, each of them comes with a learning curve to get started, but they are available alternatives.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing