[R] Metafor: Strange Trim and Fill Outcome?

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Mon May 26 14:00:29 CEST 2014

>From help(forest.rma):

pch -- plotting symbol to use for the observed effect sizes or outcomes. By default, a solid circle is used. Can also be a vector of values. See points for other options.

pch.fill -- plotting symbol to use for the effect sizes or outcomes filled in by the trim and fill method. By default, a circle is used. Only relevant when plotting an object created by the trimfill function.

The defaults are pch=19 and pch.fill=21. So, by default, a solid circle is used for the observed outcomes and an open circle is used for the outcomes that are filled in.

An example is shown here:

http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/plots:funnel_plot_with_trim_and_fill

>From help(trimfill.rma.uni):

side -- either "left" or "right", indicating on which side of the funnel plot the missing studies should be imputed. If left undefined, the side is chosen within the function depending on the results of Egger's regression test (see regtest for details on this test).

The argument is left undefined by default, so the side is chosen based on the results of the regression test (essentially, whether the slope is positive or negative). If you think the suppression occurred on the other side than the one that is chosen, specify the side via this argument.

Best,
Wolfgang