[R] Using centers of hierarchical clustering for k-means

marioger mario_wiegand at gmx.de
Fri May 16 14:29:06 CEST 2014

Hi,

i have the following problem: I am using k-means algorithm for clustering.
But instead of using randomized centers, I would like to use centers created
by hierarchical clustering. So I want to apply "hclust" on my data set (in
this case the iris data), getting a solution by "cutree", calculating the
means/centers of the resulting clusters and use these centers as starting
points for k-means clusterng. But I have no idea how I calculate the centers
of the clusters and how to use them as starting points for the k-means
algorithm.

Hope you can help. Thanks in advance.

Mario