[R] nested design

S Ellison S.Ellison at LGCGroup.com
Thu May 15 12:38:26 CEST 2014

> I would like to apply a nested ANOVA on my dataset, but I cannot find a
> satisfying answer on how to implement it in R.

The simplest formula for a two-level nested design is resp~fac1/fac2

All of the models you list are equivalent to this after allowing for the fact that R drops duplicated model terms. For example, fac1+fac1/fac2 expands to fac1 + fac1 + fac1:fac2 ... which reduces to fac1+fac1:fac2.

All this is specified in some detail in ?formula.

S Ellison