[R] transition from depends to imports

Andreas Leha andreas.leha at med.uni-goettingen.de
Fri May 9 23:39:16 CEST 2014

Hi Duncan,

Thank you for your follow-up and fast response!

Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> writes:

> On 09/05/2014, 5:08 PM, Andreas Leha wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am having trouble to do a particular transition from depends to
>> imports in one of my packages.
>>
>> This packages uses 'wilcoxsign_test' from the 'coin' package.  And this
>> is the only function from the coin package that it uses (directly).
>>
>> (Everything works fine, as long as my package depends on the coin
>> package.)
>>
>> My guess was, that I would need to only import that function from the
>> coin package. (I.e. to move the coin package from Depends
>> to Imports in the DESCRIPTION and in the NAMESPACE do
>> 'importFrom(coin,wilcoxsign_test)'.)
>>
>> But then, calling wilcoxsign_test leads to this error:
>> ,----
>> | Error in formula2data(formula, data, subset, frame = parent.frame(), ...) :
>> |   could not find function "ModelEnvFormula"
>> `----
>>
>> Now, formula2data is an unexported function in the coin package and
>> ModelEnvFormula is a (exported) function in modeltools.
>>
>> So, I tried to import ModelEnvFormula from modeltools -- no avail.
>> And I tried to import formula2data from coin -- not possible
>> And I tried to import the whole coin package -- no avail.
>>
>> So, here is the question:  How do I import 'wilcoxsign_test' from the
>> coin package in a way, that it is usable?
>>

> Which version of the packages are you using?  The current version of
> coin imports ModelEnvFormula from modeltools, so it should be able to
> find that function.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

As it seems, the version I use(d) depends on modeltools.

,----
| > packageDescription("coin")
| Package: coin
| Title: Conditional Inference Procedures in a Permutation Test Framework
| Date: 2013-04-26
| Version: 1.0-22
| Author: Torsten Hothorn, Kurt Hornik, Mark A. van de Wiel and Achim
|         Zeileis
| Maintainer: Torsten Hothorn <Torsten.Hothorn at R-project.org>
|         independence problem including two-sample, K-sample
|         (non-parametric ANOVA), correlation, censored, ordered and
|         multivariate problems.
| Depends: R (>= 2.2.0), methods, survival, mvtnorm (>= 0.8-0),
|         modeltools (>= 0.2-9)
| Suggests: multcomp, xtable, e1071, vcd
| Enhances: Biobase
| LazyLoad: yes
| LazyData: yes
| License: GPL-2
| Packaged: 2013-04-26 12:33:15 UTC; hothorn
| NeedsCompilation: yes
| Repository: CRAN
| Date/Publication: 2013-04-26 15:27:04
| Built: R 3.0.1; x86_64-pc-linux-gnu; 2013-05-29 16:07:42 UTC; unix
|
| -- File: /usr/lib/R/site-library/coin/Meta/package.rds
`----

I can confirm that updating coin (to version 1.1-0) did resolve my
problem.  Thank you very much!

This leads to the follow-up question:  How would I have correctly dealt
with this situation if my dependency ('coin') had not been updated?

Regards,
Andreas