[R] Outlier Detection with k-Means

Boris Steipe boris.steipe at utoronto.ca
Wed May 7 17:51:22 CEST 2014

Three comments:
(i)    If you calculate distances like this, you are weighting all columns
       equally by absolute numbers. Depending on your application, you might
       want to normalize the columns first (and before clustering).

(ii)   Your distance calculation is not the cartesian distance. That would be:
       sqrt(rowSums(iris2[1,]^2 - centers[1,]^2)).

(iii)  To scale to relative distances you need to define a common,
       commensurable scale. This is often done by scaling to the standard
       deviation, which gives you a probability estimate for your outliers
       if you can model the distribution as being normal. You could also
       scale to the median.

But in the end ... detecting "outliers" in the first place implies that you have an underlying model of the distribution. If you do, you should apply it. If you don't (and I don't see how such a model would be possible, given that your outliers of one group could simply be members of another) you could simply rank, and investigate (or discard) some n most distant. That said, I still don't think this would be meaningful because of the fact that k-means assigns *all* points to *some* cluster - but perhaps your specific application supports a different reasoning.

Cheers,
Boris