[R] Metafor: How to integrate effectsizes?

Michael Dewey info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
Tue May 6 19:14:32 CEST 2014

At 14:23 06/05/2014, Viechtbauer Wolfgang (STAT) wrote:
>Without the sample size of a study (i.e., either
>the group sizes or the total sample size), you
>cannot convert the p-value to a t-value or a
>t-value to a d-value. And for studies where you
>have the d-value but no sample size, you cannot
>compute the corresponding sampling variance. So,
>without additional information, you cannot
>include these studies. Maybe studies where a
>d-value is directly reported also report a CI
>for the d-value? Then the sampling variance can
>be back-calculated (since a 95% CI for d is
>typically computed with d +- 1.96 sqrt(vi), where vi is the sampling variance).

Verena,
What Wolfgang says is true of course but if you
have _both_ the t value and the p value you can
backcalculate the number of degrees of freedom
and then if you are willing to assume equal arms you have the sample sizes.

finddf <- function(t, pval) {
    helper <- function(df) {res <- pval - pt(t, df, lower.tail = FALSE); res}
    res <- uniroot(helper, interval = c(5, 10000))
    res
}

If you call finddf with the value of t and the
_one-sided_ p-value (divide by 2 if two-sided) it
should give you a return value which, if you look
at the element of the list called root is its
estimate of the degrees of freedom. If you get
errors from uniroot the interval supplied in the call may need to be widened.

I would suggest that when you have your final
dataset it would be a really good idea to do some
model checks using plot.influence to see whether
the studies for which you have imputed values are
fundamentally different for some reason. This
will also check your calculations as a bonus.

Michael Dewey
info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
http://www.aghmed.fsnet.co.uk/home.html