[R] Lattice Histogram with Normal Curve - Y axis as percentages

jimdare james.dare at es.govt.nz
Mon May 5 22:23:23 CEST 2014

Hello,

This may seem like a simple problem, but it's frustrating me immensely.  I'm
trying to overlay a normal curve (dnorm) on top of a histogram using the
code below.  This works find when the type = "density", but the person for
whom I'm making the plot wants the y axis in percent of total rather than
density.  When I change type to "percent", I get the histogram scale I'm
after, but the dnorm plot is greatly reduced.  How could I scale the density
plot to the percent of total axis.  Alternatively, perhaps there is a way to
add density to a secondary y axis?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jimdare

plot<-histogram(~rdf[,j]|Year,nint=20, data=rdf,main = i,strip =
my.strip,xlab = j,
   type = "percent",layout=c(2,1),
   panel=function(x, ...) {
   panel.histogram(x, ...)

   panel.mathdensity(dmath=dnorm, col="black",
  # Add na.rm = TRUE to mean() and sd()
    args=list(mean=mean(x, na.rm = TRUE),
    sd=sd(x, na.rm = TRUE)), ...)
                                        })